Thursday, 14 March 2013

Hairy W***ers Spanish Chicken

Ok, so I'm just going to come out and say it.

I don't like the Hairy Bikers. And I especially don't like them now they're all 'look how skinny we are' Hairy Dieters. Blah.

I've always found them irritating. Now I find them irritating and smug. The only good thing about them is their food. And their beards.

See, here's the thing...their food is awesome. Since the Hairy Dieters recipe book graced our kitchen I'd say we've had more yummy, different, and relatively healthy meals than we have in a long time previously. I say relatively healthy, because most of these are cooked by my mum, and she's not so much about the weighing and measuring. She's more of a 'lets just chuck it in and see what happens' kind of a gal - one of the reasons trying to keep track of my evening meals is an effing nightmare.

Unfortunately I can't blame my mother for this meal being slightly naughtier than Dave and Si intended, as it was prepared by my own fair hands - on Mothering Sunday no less. You see, I was all for knocking up a traditional Sunday roast, but here's the thing. Nobody's roast is every going to top Mum's, is it? Actually that's a lie. Nobody's roast is ever going to top my Nan's, with my mother's coming in at a close second. Actually probably joint second with my stepmum's. Anyway, the sentiment remains the same - my roast dinner skills are way down on the list of yumminess and the idea of opening myself up to the 'Lauren cooked a rubbish roast' humiliation is not something I relish. So I went Espanol a la Hairy Bikers.

Spanish Style Chicken (inspired by the Hairy Bikers, made more fattening by me)

Serves 4

You will need -

8 skinless and boneless chicken thighs (naturally I didn't bother with the skinning and boning, because...well those are the best bits. Hence this recipe being slightly (a lot) more fattening than the bearded ones intended)
75g chorizo, skinned and sliced
500g new potatoes, halved or quartered depending on how big they are
3 peppers, whatever colour you fancy - I used green and yellow - deseeded and sliced into strips
Tomatoes - the recipe calls for 8 medium ones quartered, I just used a 300g pack of cherry tomatoes and whacked them in whole
Two onions, preferably one red and one white, cut into wedges.
8 garlic cloves, peeled
Sweet smoked paprika (quantity to be confirmed later)
Dried oregano (again, quantity to be confirmed)
Sea salt and black pepper
Olive Oil, preferably in the form of a spray but bottle is fine too
One large baking tray

Method
Preheat your oven - 200 for fans, 180 or gas mark 6 for gas
Whack the chorizo, potatoes, peppers, onions, tomatoes and garlic into the baking tray and mix up so its all evenly distributed. At this point I sprayed over some olive oil, but it wasn't necessary as the juices from the chicken, chorizo and veg are definitely sufficient. Sprinkle over 1 tsp of paprika and another or oregano. Season well with black pepper and a little salt (the chorizo is quite salty anyway) and turn so everything is well covered. Here's one I made earlier -


Now, onto the chicken. The original recipe calls to cook the veg for a while first, then place the chicken on top and season....I tried that the first time and found the veg ended up overcooked (I like mine to still have a bite) and kind of bland, hence the adjustments. So, anyway. Season veg and chorizo, then set aside while you sort out the chicken.

I made a rub with a little olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, some more black pepper and some paprika and oregano. Rub a little of this all over each of the chicken thighs (yours will be skinless because you are better people than me) and then place on top of the veg.


Like so - kind of like a giant pie with chicken as the pastry. Mmm, pie.


Place in the oven for around 45 minutes to an hour. Check the chicken is cooked through before serving. When it looks like this (and your house smells like a tapas restaurant) then it's probably done -


We served it with a little savoury rice and some garlic bread - remember to work out the additional ProPoints values or calories for these if you choose to have them!

Including the olive oil (which could easily be omitted if you want to lower the points) this recipe works out the be 14 ProPoints per serving. If you followed Dave and Si's recipe to the letter it'd probably be less. Oh well.

Disclaimer - my family like things hot. If you're not a fan of spice, cut back on the paprika.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I love this post and I love the look of that chicken! Thanks for this! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this book and this is one of my favourite recipes! We loved the korma but were less impressed with the jalfrezi, it seemed a bit bland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually looks SO delicious, I'm going to have to make it!! I've just started a bit of a lifestyle overhaul and i find it really hard to find good recipes, your blog definitely helps :)

    ps, well done on losing so much weight, you look frickin amazing!

    would love it if you checked out the blog i've just started :)

    myrealfooddiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!