Monday, 25 March 2013

(Belated) Sunday Summary - 24/03

So has anyone else noticed a correlation between me being off work and blogging more? Apparently the only time I can maintain any level of blogging dedication is when I'm off sick, and as I don't plan to do that again for a while (partly because unwell is rubbish, but mostly because I had 450 emails in my inbox when I got back to work) you will just have to tolerate my higgledy piggledy mish-mash of blog posts. Sorry!

This week has been cray-cray busy. In fact, all my weeks seem to be cray-cray busy. I'm torn between loving it, loving what I do, loving the cool office and the brilliant colleagues and the interesting work and being able to say 'I'm in PR', and this overwhelming sense of panic. The weeks and months are whizzing by in a blur of stress and panic about missed deadlines, emails I haven't replied to and a to-do list as long as my arm and there are days, like today, when I wonder at what point it stops being ok? When does it stop being a job and turn into an obsession? I never expected to have a job that I like. In my world, work is what you do to put food on the table and occasionally pay for something more extravagant. A holiday, or a new car. Both my parents have always worked, but I've never been led to believe that they work because they want to. They work because they have to, because they have kids to feed and mortgages to pay. So firstly, for me to have a job that I like and enjoy is a novelty. For me to have a job that I like and enjoy and that takes up so much of my time and puts me under such a lot of pressure and I still enjoy it...well, that's gobsmacking. And scary. Three months have passed in a blink of an eye and I'm slightly scared that I'm forgetting how to have a life outside of work. Never was this fear more pronounced than this evening, after having spent a solid 11 hours at my desk without making a dent in my to-do list. It's a balance I need to find. I'll get there. Eventually. I hope.

So anyway, apart from minor nervous breakdowns, what else have I been up to this week?

Finally jumping on The Hunger Games bandwagon. I read all three in a week and am now re-reading...don't judge me, I have a long commute and need diversions!


My first Twitter party at work - image by Vanesa Guallar
 
 A boozy night in London with my (one of) my favourite ex-housemates. This was shortly before he spilled an entire glass of red wine in my lap. Bless him.
 
A snowy pilgrimage to Leicester to visit the boy, who has recently returned from his slightly more impressive pilgrimage to the Sudan. I will be spending my Easter weekend sampling the delights of Leicestershire (read: sleeping for solid twelve hour periods and letting him cook for me) - I can only hope its slightly warmer by then, although I doubt it.
 
What have you been up to this week?
 
All my love,
Lauren xxx
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Busy busy bee Lauren! Have fun with the boy!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. busy busy! I'm planning a mini break in London to see some bands and exhibitions in May and thought me you and Sophie, plus our respective male friends could have some Friday night cocktails/meal somewhere xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Just wanted to drop by from the UpandRunning forum and say hi. It's great that you have a job that you enjoy - though I've heard from many people that PR is very busy! What clients do you look after?
    Also, do you like Leicester? I used to go all the time when my Nanna lived there but haven't been in ages - quite fancy popping up there for some shopping sometime...is it good still?

    x

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!