Monday, 21 January 2013

DeluxeBite

I've never been much of a one for subscription boxes. Even when everyone first started going mad for Glossy Boxes and all the other beauty boxes that were flying around. I'm very much a 'one and done' kind of girl - once I find something that I like and that works for me, then I stick to it until its discontinued or quite simply stops working for me. Then I find something new.

So perhaps understandably, when I was initially contacted by DeluxeBite about reviewing one of their gourmet food hampers I was somewhat hesitant. What if I didn't like the contents? Unlike my attitude to beauty products though, my attitude to food is more of a 'try anything once' approach, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

I wasn't disappointed. When my hamper arrived yesterday morning it was met with much excitement by both myself and my mum. Most of this excitement was directed at the venison chorizo, an exotic foodstuff that us Essex heathens have never heard the like of. We're big chorizo eaters in this family, so wanting to waste no time in sampling the wares plans were immediately made for chicken and chorizo pasta. I actually still had the  traditional chorizo that came in the previous hamper (that I never got round to blogging about, woops) so we threw that in for good measure.

You guys, it was awesome. Like, for reals. The venison chorizo is a lot darker in colour than the traditional pork one - in fact it almost looks like black pudding. When you fry it it produces very little fat, unlike normal chorizo which produces quite a lot. It still has the traditional spicy chorizo flavour but the meat itself is much richer so you get more of that flavour coming through. All in all, yummmmm. We fried it up with some diced chicken breast, peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes and served with pasta. Super quick and easy and extremely yummy.

So eager were we to crack into the chorizo-y goodness, I didn't think to snap any pictures before whacking them into the pan! I have pictures of the labels though, so that sort of counts...right?




Some of the other goodies in the hamper include some fancy coffee, some slightly odd 'fruit crisps' and some posh chutneys and relishes. I'm looking forward to the next time we have roast pork so I can slather it in the apple chutney!




In terms of content I would definitely recommend giving DeluxeBites a try, particularly if you are a foodie who is always on the look out for new products. Some of the things in the hamper are ones that I would never have come across otherwise but will definitely buy again - in fact I plan to source more of that chorizo as a matter of urgency. The only cause for hesitation for me is the price, as at £20 a box I personally would find it a little steep. That being said I'd be willing to spend it as a gift for a foodie friend and if I was a real foodie/less of a subscription box phobe I probably wouldn't be quite so quick to balk at the price tag.

Have any of you ever tried foodie subscription boxes? Have you encountered DeluxeBite before?

Lauren xxx

7 comments:

  1. I've not tried any of the subscription boxes, but after buying some really good chorizo myself on Sunday, its making this box look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That pasta sounds really good! I have tried some deluxe hampers here in Oz. When I was dating the frenchman we used to splurge at xmas and get a french hamper with duck fat, pate and a variety of delish french foods that my man missed! Mmm, it must be lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried them myself but I like that the Chorizo is dairy free, its so hard to find dairy free foods to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chorizo makes my life and venison chorizo sounds even better. I would be worried about getting this though as I would just eat it all in one day probably. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only ever been asked to try burgers.
    I was paid though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only subscription box I've tried is a graze box... which are sometimes nice and sometimes not, depending on what you get!
    Have been thinking about trying a subscription beauty box but there's so many around it's hard to pick one.

    emilyblogsaboutstuff.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the subscription boxes and the contents of yours do look fab, however I do think the price is too steep for me to justify... maybe when I win the lottery!! Hope you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!