Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Oh For A Book And A Shady Nook


My bookwormish tendencies are no secret, so when I was invited to an event hosted by The Folio Society I was thrilled. I will admit to only having encountered Folio recently, and even then it was only because I work for a rival publishing company (I know right, I'm such a Judas) and other publishers are always being mentioned around the office. For those of you who don't know, Folio publish high-quality illustrated editions of some of the best-loved books around - everything from children's literature to the classics (not that those two are exclusive of each other) to religious texts and everything else in between. Their focus is on quality, and on producing literature that looks and feels fantastic and lasts a lifetime.







I'm completely enamoured with the collection that was on display - particularly their edition of The Handmaid's Tale, which is now considered the definitive edition. The Handmaid's Tale has been a favourite of mine since I studied it at A Level and I absolutely adore the illustrations - they fit with the themes of the book perfectly.

How gorgeous is the midnight blue sparkly cover of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Perfection.




The evening was hosted by The Guardian Book Editor Claire Armitstead who was lovely, making an effort to meet and mingle with various guests. As well as lusting over the book displays, there was also a reading of Pinocchio by Grahame Baker-Smith, the illustrator of Folio's new edition. Grahame was an absolute gent, chose a brilliant chapter to share and spent ages patiently answering questions. He has illustrated twelve Folio books in total, and is currently working on a thirteenth - a collection of Wilde's short stories, which I will definitely be adding to my collection when the time comes!

As if all that wasn't enough, there were some of the most delicious canapes I have ever tasted on offer, as well as a seemingly endless supply of mulled wine and mulled cider. I was planning on taking some photos of those too, but I was too busy shovelling them into my mouth. Soz.

I wanted to share some nice outfit pictures with you - unfortunately my brother was the only one still awake when I got in, and as he is so profoundly useless at everything that I am often astounded by his ability to differentiate between his arse and his elbow without help, this is the best I could do.


Blazer: Primark
Dress and Necklace: Dorothy Perkins
Boots: New Look
Watch: Michael Kors
Rosie cheeks: c/o too much mulled wine

Please excuse the mess in this photo - I did try to instruct him to zoom in a little and therefore omit the discarded shoes and pile of cookbooks (all mum's - you can see where I get it from!) but alas, the zoom button was a little too much for his tiny mind to grasp.

You may recognise the dress as the sister of this oneThere is only one situation in life in which I believe fate truly plays a part - sale shopping. I had been toying with the idea of getting the black version of this dress pretty much since I laid eyes on the burgundy one. So there I was, trawling through the sale rack in Lakeside Dorothy Perkins, when I came across the last one in the shop. It was sandwiched between two other dresses, both of which were hideous, and wasn't even on its own hanger. Throw in the fact that it was my size and obviously I had to have it. It was like a message from the shopping God. And when He calls, who am I not to answer?! I made it mine for cheeky £11.80 (the fact that my student card is valid until June fills me with indescribable joy) and never looked back. The blazer was one of those rare fantastic Primark finds - I wanted to pair it with something bright, but smarter than one of my trusty old 'boyfriend' cardigans.

What do you think of the Folio Society Collection? Will you be stopping by to grab some Christmas gifts for your loved ones - or perhaps just treating yourself? I've been lucky enough to be sent a copy of All Quiet on the Western Front to review, so watch this space for my thoughts on it!

With love,
Lauren xxx

P.S While my little brother couldn't quite grasp the zoom button, he has certainly mastered the art of the self-portrait. When I uploaded the pictures to my laptop I was greeted with these little gems -




Cretin. Can you spot his Movember 'tache? He's very proud of it....maybe in a few years it'll be more impressive, but at the moment it is more reminiscent of bum fluff.

6 comments:

  1. Those books are so beautiful! Think I may have to wait a few years to treat myself so it can be kept in a proper bookcase :) love your dress too!

    And thank you so much for all the info on Kent, I'm fairly certain I'll be applying there now... although I know what you mean about Shakespeare! :)

    http://goodbyesession.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're gorgeous. I love those illustrated book covers you can get as a kindle case! You can definately tell you are getting on swimmingly with the 10 week pledge, the outfit's great! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWOOON library girl here is lusting after all of those books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books, canapes, wine and cider.
    Perfection. Fab pics Miss Jones.
    You have done amazing. Keep it up x

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that dress! Looking great Lauren! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!