Friday, 31 August 2012

Shaking It Up.

I had so many good blogging intentions for this week, and they just don't seem to have happened. I worked on Saturday at the Tower of London but then I was off Sunday-Wednesday and I had grand plans of recipe posts and witty anecdotes (because we all know I love a witty anecdote) and lots of other fun stuff, but with the exception of a little insight into my wardrobe it just didn't happen! I vividly remember thinking to myself on Tuesday morning 'I'll blog tonight' - next time I looked it was Thursday afternoon, my extra-super-duper-long-weekend was over and I was back at work. Even though I didn't do anything particularly exciting or different I had a lovely few days - particularly since a good proportion of them was spent with one of my best friends Caitlan who has been away travelling for the last ten months. Hearing her stories about skydiving in New Zealand and bathing with the elephants in Thailand has definitely put my life in perspective...she's heading back to Australia on Sunday for another year or so (at least!) so tomorrow night will be spent seeing her off in style, and probably weeping like a baby because I'll miss her A LOT.

Anyway, enough about that, before I get emotional and start crying at my desk. 

As you are all painfully aware, the last few weeks has been a bit of a struggle for me food-and-exercise wise. I know right, not like I've mentioned it a bazillion times. I've also just realised that I didn't post a weigh-in update on here last week - naughty of me! Those of you who also follow Where Are My Knees? (which had better be all of you, by the way!!) will know that I just about managed to lose 1lb despite eating out pretty much all week - 100% down to the fact that I finally got a gym membership sorted out and so I was going balls to the wall on the cross-trainer pretty hard four of the days. But see, the fact that I had managed to lose 1lb despite eating rubbish just annoyed me more than if I'd have gained. I know for a fact that if I'd had a week of pointing and tracking AND going to the gym then I probably would have dropped 3lb+ without even blinking. I was enjoying the gym sessions, and then coming out and eating whatever was easiest. I was comfort eating, I wasn't boredom eating. I wasn't eating overly large amounts or drinking a bottle of wine a night (although I totally could do that). It was just for convenience. I wasn't organised enough to plan and make meals in advance so I was just grabbing whatever was handy. Just so happens that what was handy was stupendously high in fat and calories and god knows what else. And to be honest, most of the time it wasn't even that nice. So yeah, the point of that little rant is that I was pissed.

This week, I decided to make a change. I was extremely intrigued after reading my fellow team member Sarah's review of Slimfast on WAMK, and after doing a little more research I decided to give it a go. Now before you all turn into shrieking harpies and curse me for deserting Weight Watchers - I haven't. Weight Watchers is and always will be my first love - I lost over 7st with Weight Watchers and I genuinely believe that it is the best plan out there for losing weight and keeping it off (NOW PLEASE GIVE ME A JOB IN YOUR PR DEPARTMENT, THANKS). That being said, at this moment in time its not working for me. Thats not the plan's fault - its mine. My head isn't in the right place at the moment. There is such a thing as 'too much flexibility' and thats what I was finding with Weight Watchers. At the moment I need structure and discipline and for my body to become re-accustomed to a lower calorie intake and smaller volume of food. And I could either have stayed with Weight Watchers, continued having half-good-half-bad weeks, making bad decisions, and fluctuating within the same 3lb margin. Or I could try something different and see where it got me. By last Sunday, after another bad food day, I figured I had nothing to lose - so I stocked up on Slimfast stuff and got on with it.

And since Sunday I've lost 5.5lbs.

And I know, I know, that that isn't a realistic rate of weight loss. I couldn't - nor would I want to - lose that amount of weight every week. But as a kickstart to my body and to get my head back into a routine when it comes to eating, you can't really say fairer than that. I won't pretend that I've followed the plan to the letter because I haven't - I ate out twice on Tuesday, thus blowing that day completely out of the water, and if I've been feeling peckish in-between meals and snacks then I've snacked on fruit. My calorie average has probably been somewhere between 1350 and 1500 a day.

First of all, let me say this - I have not felt hungry. At least not beyond the normal 'its time for my lunch' hunger. This has been a huge surprise to me as I am a BIG eater. I've always had a big appetite and even I didn't think that I'd be able to manage on a shake, a meal bar and a couple of snacks a day - so to find out that I can without too much drama has been a pleasant surprise, and has reminded me that staying within a daily ProPoints allowance actually is completely do-able. Secondly, all of the products are delicious. I know a few people who have done Slimfast in the past and complained about the artificial taste and whatnot, but I they seem to have really picked their game up since then. I even tweeted yesterday about their Raspberry Crush shake (omnomnom) and was kindly offered another weeks worth of products for an official review! I'll be following the plan for another week or so - basically until I run out of products, and then I'll be returning to Weight Watchers and pointing. I know that I'm going to have to be super careful when it comes to going back to 'eating normally', but I really think I'll be in a much better mindset by then - not only will my body be accustomed to a lower calorie intake and smaller volume of food, but I'll also know in myself that I can be strict on myself and not be miserable or go hungry. I think if Slimfast has conquered one thing (other than the muffin top on my new jeans), its my pathological fear of being hungry.

Has anyone else tried the Slimfast 3-2-1 plan? What are your thoughts? As I said I'll be reviewing the plan properly within the next couple of weeks, but if you have any burning questions in the meantime please do check out Sarah's post on Where Are My Knees? - she's got most of it covered!

I hope you've all had a fabulous week and will be having an even more fabulous weekend! I will admit now to the fact that I won't be following Slimfast over the weekend, particularly tomorrow as I plan to drink my calories - and I'm not talking about in milkshake form! ;)

Love,
Lauren xxx


6 comments:

  1. I think personally its all about what works for you, its your journey and its you who gets to make the decisions about how its going to work. Your smart enough to realise that doing slimfast for life isnt ideal and making sensible decision. Good luck with the next week, hope works out for you and you manage to get back into weightwatchers

    S xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's good to try something different from time to time. For me I find it gives my motivation a kick start and you always learn something - even if it's just not to try THAT again! Have a great weekend!

    http://blunderingon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling the same. I need a kickstart and to lose about 7lbs t get back on track. It;s been stagnant all summer and I want to shift the final 20lbs! x

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your progress thus far! You look great! Keep going :) Here's my fitness blog: allmyfriendsaremodels.blogspot.com ! Loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed reading your blog, in fact spent the last half hour or so reading your past posts.

    Your weight loss is amazing but I also really enjoyed your fashions spots and advice.

    Keep up the good work :)

    http://champagnelambinibudget.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!