Saturday, 28 July 2012

You Saand Like Yorrr From Laandaaan

Well aren't I a naughty little blogger!? I can't believe its been almost two weeks since I posted - shocking! There's been so much going on that I just haven't got round to it.

Last week I started my new job at Dorling Kindersley Publishing House - exciting isn't the word! I am a technical content assistant in the Picture Library, spending most of my day tracking down various bits of paperwork and making sure copyright and yadda yadda yadda is in order for the millions of pictures that DK have used in their books over the last few decades. Its only a six month contract but I'm hoping to do a bit of networking and get my name out there, and hopefully make some friends in other departments so that when my contract finishes I'll have some contacts in other departments - hopefully in ones like Publiclity, Marketing and Editorial, all of which are areas that I'm interested in. It helps that DK is owned by Penguin, which is in turn owned by Pearson, both of which have offices in the building that I'm based. Fingers crossed for making friends in the right places!

Other than that, there really hasn't been an awful lot going on for me. Oh the graduate life, its such a thrill...nottttt. Both Weight Watchers and exercise have been up and down - and more down than up if I'm honest. Starting a new routine is always hard for me, especially when it involves leaving the house at 7am and getting home anytime between 6pm and 7pm! Its also doesn't help that I can't afford a gym membership until I get paid, and that there is both a cafe and a restaurant in my building selling heavily subsidised goodies. I'm not too proud to admit that I succumbed to a slice of chocolate and raspberry cake on Friday afternoon. It. Was. Amazing. 

I know that I'm going to have to keep myself on the straight and narrow somehow though, particularly since my mum and I have started planning our next adventure - a two-week trip to the California and Nevada in 2014. Its almost two years away yet, but I know how fast the time goes and I can feel the lbs creeping back on. I'm painfully aware that I will always have to be careful about what I eat, and now that I'm starting a routine that I'm likely to be in for the next 10-15 years AT LEAST, I need to take steps to make sure it fits in with a healthy lifestyle. Starting with resisting the cake. Even if it is a taste of chocolate heaven....

One more thing before I go raid Netflix for some light entertainment - who watched the opening ceremony of  the London 2012 Olympic Games last night!? Wasn't it AWESOME!? I have been vehemently anti-Olympic since we got it in 2005 (we all know my love of sport...) but I definitely got caught up in it yesterday - I even went down to see the flame being rowed up the Thames with my colleagues. Our office backs on to Embankment Park (for those of you who have any idea what that is) so we're right on top of the river. It was amazing to see everyone out on the riverside to cheer it on its way, and even the cynic in me has to admit that Danny Boyle did us proud. It was just so....British. I love that we don't take ourselves too seriously (as evidenced by the 'Queen' parachuting in to the Olympic stadium) and that we celebrated the best of our country and heritage. As much as I am intrigued and fascinated by other countries and cultures (particularly North and South America and Canada), I am so incredibly proud to be British. Being British is fantastic. Not least because we have some of the best actors, writers and musicians the world has ever seen, but because we also have fish and chips, roast dinners, Cadbury chocolate, Victoria spongecake, Cornish Pasties, Cream Teas, and English Breakfasts. And that, my friends, is why I will always be just that little bit fat.

(I hasten to add that just because I watched the opening ceremony and saw the torch go down the Thames, does NOT mean that I will be obsessively watching sport for the next however many days or weeks. I might watch the gymnastics and the 100 meters, but other than that....what time is Castle on!?)

I will leave you now with the wise words of Mr Hugh Grant - because we all know that a quintessential Middle Class English man can't be wrong.



With love to you all, as ever
Lauren xxx

1 comment:

  1. TEAM GB TEAM GB!! I'm caught up in the fever but I'm also caught up in eating cake and drinking beer. Oh dear... xx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!