Wednesday, 11 April 2012

My Moment Of Fame

Hi guys!

Ok, so lets get the bad news out of the way...I weighed in this morning with a 4lb gain. While I'm mega annoyed at myself, I'm not too upset because I knew it was coming - in fact I expected it to be a hell of a lot worse! I'm gutted to be back into the 13st category, but I'm hoping with some hard work I will have shifted those 4lbs within the next fortnight and then I can focus on getting back on my way to goal.

Anyway, we won't dwell too much on that. Instead, lets talk about yesterday!

For those of you who don't have me on facebook or twitter and who haven't been keeping track on here, yesterday I went for a photo-shoot for The Sun newspaper. You guys, it was SO much fun. The whole thing came around really quickly, and started with a freelance journo called Laura tweeting, asking for women aged 20 to 40 who had inspirational weight-loss stories. I wasn't following Laura at the time but the lovely Emma (aka Mrs Shilts) pointed her in my direction (thank you for that, by the way!) and after a few emails and phone calls it was decided that I was to feature in the article. The details all came through really quickly, I did the phone interview with Laura last Thursday (while I was hungover and an emotional wreck so I dread to think the sorts of rubbish I was spouting) and then the photo-shoot was yesterday. 

The studio is in St Katherine's Dock in London, not far from where I work at the Tower, so it was easy enough to find. Everybody there was so lovely and attentive! I was taken through to make-up straight away - I have never seen so much MAC before in my life. MAC everything. I was in heaven. I was asking all sorts of questions as I was having my make-up done - what colour is that? What sort of brushes do you use? Whats your favourite concealer product (because acne is the bane of my life)? I really liked what the make-up artist did - when I do my own make-up for a night out I tend to go very heavy on the eye make-up and do the whole smokey eyes bit, but she went fairly minimal on the eyes. She extended the eyeliner that I already had on and added just a touch of shadow around the sockets. I was slightly dubious when she pulled out a Barbie-pink MAC lipgloss but once she put it on I was totally in love.


Please excuse the rubbish phone quality picture - this cretin forgot her camera! I was loving the pink so I was quite gutted when the make-up artist saw me in the dress and changed her mind about the colour (she also added a little more to the eyes as well). I was secretly hoping for a really elaborate hair-do but the stylist said she wanted to keep it 'young' so she just straightened it through and then back-combed the layers so that it was all voluminous.

After I was done with hair and make-up I was sent out to get dressed. I'm telling you, I could learn to live with having a stylist dress me. It was awesome. The stylist was called Sharon and she kind of looked me up and down a couple of times and was like 'right, this one'. I won't tell you what the dress is like because it will ruin the surprise, but its lovely and 100% not something I would ever have picked out for myself. I felt super slim and sophisticated in it and had to be persuaded to take it off while we were waiting for the photographer to set up. I was terrified that the photographer was going to be the super-camp young European type that you see on TV, and that he would shout things like 'pout darling' or 'give me sexy...now give me FIERCE' or 'fabulous darling, FABULOUS' but he was actually a really normal guy. He made lots of jokes to put me at my ease and told me how to pose to get the best angle to 'show off that tiny waist' (could have kissed him when he said that). He showed me a few of the pictures afterwards as well and spent quite a while talking to us about the editing of photos that goes on in newspapers and magazines. I told him that if he wanted to photoshop a couple of dress sizes off of me then that would be fine, but apparently that 'defeats the object of the article'. Worth a try though right!? He also said he would email me the pictures once they've all been processed, so I will be sure to upload them here after the article has come out. Wouldn't want to spoil the surprise.

From what I can tell the article is going to feature six different women (including me) from all different age groups and walks of life, who've all lost weight in different ways. There was quite a lot of waiting around between shoots so I spent a while chatting to three of the other ladies there (one of them was a bit quiet and kept to herself, and the other was running late and only arrived as we were leaving). The women I spoke to were all in their 30s - one has lost 10st with Weight Watchers in just over a year (I was AMAZED), another has lost 11.5st after having a gastric bypass 15 months ago, and the third has lost around 3st just by healthy eating and exercise. It was so good to chat to them, especially as they are that bit older than me. It was interesting to see how they had dealt with being larger when they were in their teens and twenties, and it once again made me so glad that I did something about my weight when I did. I'm learning healthy habits that (hopefully) will stick with me for life. This last week has been a prime example of this. I totally binged, but I knew that I was doing it, I knew that it was bad and that I had to get it under control, whereas before Weight Watchers that would have been a normal week for me and I would have thought nothing of it.

All in all it was a totally amazing day and a wonderful experience. I'm praying that the photos come out all right and that the interview is ok as well - I don't know how its going to have been edited so I hope I don't come across as a total twat. I'm also slightly concerned about the whole country know what I used to weigh, but I suppose that is par for the course in this situation really!

I managed to grab a couple of pictures while I was there, but you'll have to wait for the paper to come out for the real deal!

Sneak preview of the outfit - the shoesss! Aren't they gorgeous? They were too small for me but I was determined to squeeze into them and I managed it in the end!

Waiting for 'my stylist' to come and dress me!

Like I said, there was a lot of waiting around between shoots, so I took the opportunity to rifle through all the dresses (some of which you can see on the rail behind me) and try on all the shoes. These beauties are from Truffle and are at least 6in high. I'm not afraid to admit that I fell over in them. But they're so gorgeous that I didn't even care. (Please excuse the dressing gown.)

I'll let you know when they paper is coming out!

Love, 
Lauren xxx

5 comments:

  1. I am sooo excited for you! Sounds like you had an absolutely fantastic day and I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    It is great to read that you are as 'normal' as the rest of us with having bad weeks! This week was terrible for me but I'm determined to get back on track and so far so good today..

    Looking forward to seeing how you get on next week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so exciting ! Must get a copy when it comes out! You're weight loss is a massive achievement I look on a little jealous if I'm honest but well done you! I guess everyone has to get there in their own time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations doll and I'm so super excited for you!!! It's been a while since I visited you and let me tell you girly you're looking fantastic. You lost a lot of weight and are looking just FAB. Congrats.


    <3 Marina
    Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look just like Lacey Chabert! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!