Monday, 14 November 2011

Feel-Good Monday

As a literature student, I find myself quite frequently overcome by the power of words. One of my favourite things about my degree is the power that the words hold - from Shakespeare to Emerson, Shelley to Woolf, and all the nuances in between. I love that the words these people wrote are still so powerful, all these years later. That, more than anything else about my degree (including the hours spent curled up in bed with a cup of tea and a crime novel and being able to legitimately say 'I'm working') inspires me. I love the idea of opening your heart and mind to complete strangers and offering them a piece of yourself. I love the idea that the words of one person can change the lives of millions. I want to do that one day.

When I have been at some of my lowest ebbs, I have sought comfort and inspiration in the words of others. That's why, for this weeks edition of 'Feel-Good Monday', I've chosen to share some of my favourite quotes with you. While most of them don't relate directly to weight-loss ('Little pickers wear bigger knickers' is not a favourite of mine, as true as it may be) they are words that I've found inspiring. I hope they fill you with some positivity and motivation for the Monday ahead of you!


'I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars.' - Stephenie Meyer. This is perhaps my all-time favourite quote, and it seems especially fitting this week as its from Twilight. Are we all excited about the release of Breaking Dawn part 1 on Friday? I know I am! I have loved this quote since first reading it all those years ago when Twilight was first released (I am a true Twihard and read the book when it was first released). It reminds me that sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to truly appreciate all the wonderful things in your life. There is never a time that I appreciate the love and support of my friends and family more than when I'm really struggling.


'History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.' Sir Winston Churchill - he needs no introduction, and the quote says it all. Don't be a side-note in somebody elses story.

'The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark.' Michelangelo - I love this quote. At times it just seems so appealing to settle for whats easiest but this quote reminds me to keep aiming for the top, no matter how hard it might be to get there sometimes. 

'You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.' Jack London - don't sit around waiting for things to change. Go out there and change them for yourself. You won't regret it.

'Nobody's journey is seamless or smooth. We all stumble. We all have setbacks. It's just life's way of saying, "Time to change course."' Oprah Winfrey - sometimes its easy to look at others and feel as though they're doing so much better than you are, but in reality they have their own struggles as well. Just because we don't all have the same problems, it doesn't mean that we don't all have some problems. I think sometimes we all need to be reminded to be a little more understanding towards those around us. We also need to be reminded that coming up against obstacles doesn't mean that we've failed. Sometimes you just need to step back, accept that you took a wrong turn, and look for an alternate route. 

And finally....

'Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about.' Oscar Wilde - fittingly, a quote by one of my favourite authors to finish. I, for one, tend to take life far too seriously - and sometimes it just doesn't need to be We're here for such a short amount of time, and we need to cram as much fun and love and laughter into that time as we possibly can. As hard as it can be, sometimes you just have to accept that worrying about something isn't going to change a damn thing. Its just going to give you a headache or an ulcer - or both. Mondays are the epitome of stress and worry - at least they are in my book - but try not to let it drag you down this week. In fact, try not to let it drag you down ever. After all, 'the supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.' Robert Heinlein.

Have a very happy Monday everybody!

Lauren xxx

2 comments:

  1. oo I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Although I admit I did wince at seeing Stephenie Meyer...Twilight fan I am not lmao ;)
    Here's to an amazing week bb! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quotations - I'm a huge reader and often "collect" quotes. The Oscar Wilde is one of my favourites too! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!