Monday, 17 October 2011

Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of.

Hello beautiful readers!

You'll all be pleased to know that I have returned safe and sound from The Big Apple! I actually got back last Tuesday, so sincere apologies for the shoddy blogging efforts - its been on my to-do list.

I had an absolutely amazing time in the states - my only criticism is that five days definitely wasn't enough! I honestly think I could spend a month just exploring New York every day and still have more things to see and do. Maybe it was just me getting caught up in the romance of it all but everything just felt so exciting and so much bigger and louder and more over-the-top than it does in London. Don't get me wrong, I love London and stand by my opinion that (rioters and rubbish public transport aside) it is the best city on the planet, but there is something about being in an entirely new city that you've never visited before...everything was just so thrilling. I honestly spent most of the weekend feeling like a kid in a sweet shop.

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to share all of my photos with you on here - or give you an hour by hour itinerary of what we got up to - because you would be extremely bored and would leave my blog and probably click the 'unfollow' button for good measure. Like I said, there were a lot of things we didn't get to do due to our limited time in the city, but we spent a day shopping at Woodbury Common outlet store, another day perusing the shops on Fifth Avenue, and then a couple of days exploring the other 'important' parts of the city - Times Square, Top of the Rock, Battery Park, etc etc. I was also lucky enough to make a 'new friend' while I was out there (his name is Italo and he's a little bit gorgeous) and he took me to some great out-of-the-way places that tourists don't normally get to hear too much about, like the High Line and some real New Yorker bars. All in all it was an amazing trip and it was definitely the perfect way to celebrate my 21st.

Just arrived at JFK after taking full advantage of the complimentary on-board bar.

Times Square baby!

Mum with all the bags from our Woodbury Common haul.

Cocktails in Greenwich Village.

 Outside the HBO shop with our True Blood bottles and Sex and the City Keyrings.

 Last of the big spenders with my Tiffany's and Saks bags!

 View of the park from Top of the Rock.
More drinks!

These are just a few of my favourite photos, I thought uploading all 200 of them would be a tad excessive...yes, ok, so I got a bit camera happy. I was on holiday, for crying out loud!

As well as having a fantastic time, I also managed to get all the things that I wanted while I was out there - namely my Tiffany Charm Bracelet and my Uggs. Shopping is so much cheaper in the states, as is eating and drinking out...I honestly don't know why there are any people left in this country at all. COME ON ENGLAND, SORT YOUR LIFE OUT. I made a conscious decision while I was out there to just let go, enjoy myself and not worry about Weight Watchers...shockingly enough (not), this was very easy to do, and I had such a good time eating pancakes for breakfast and burgers for dinner that I don't even care about the 4.5lb gain I was greeted with upon my arrival home. I see that as a small price to pay for five days of total over-indulgence! Besides, it'll be gone in a fortnight. Mark my words.

Unfortunately I have now dropped down from New York Cloud Nine with a very large bump, and have been inundated with reading and essays to be done - curse the Third Year workload! I think I'm also suffering with a pretty sever case of post-holiday blues because I'm definitely feeling a bit sorry for myself! Hopefully getting back into a decent routine over the next week or so will cheer me up - I mean, how could hours spent in the library and gym not cheer me up?? 

I hope everyone has had a good couple of weeks, and apologies again for my extended absence!

Lauren xx

7 comments:

  1. So glad you had fun! Did you see any of the Occupy protesters? I cant believe you think our prices are better than UK because Ill tell you one thing, we can't afford them! Which means your prices are REALLY high or you can't paid more than us, I think it's probably both though.

    Ugh, we have some major economy issues in the US and it's time for that to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaw so jealous, what a great trip!! I really want to go to nyc and Boston.
    I'm going to London next week for the Cosmo blog awards and I'm going to go a bit mad. You only live ones, cocktails all night! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you had fun and 4.5lbs was a v small price to pay for copious amounts of american 'all you can eat' style food, ha! i can imagine what it must be like coming back and being thrown in at the deep end with work et al. me thinks you need to plan another trip so you have something to look forward to (ahem, with me, ahem) roma? ireland? back to ny??
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great time, I want to go back to NY! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vacation is awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. Cocktails are a MUST on vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! New York leaves you wanting a little more from everything else, and you definitely leave with the blues. Eventually, you'll get back on track with life and resume the student life. As for future trips... I really think you ought to consider going somewhere west coast, i.e. California. Los Angeles is about a 180 from NY, but there's something about New York's architecture that gets me everytime. Probably why I miss Toronto so much (they could be identical).

    PS. You look fab. The 4.5 lbs gain is totally worth the trip! Best pizza in the WORLD is from New York. I hope you had some of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trip looks beyond amazing! I will do this one day, even if I missed out doing it for my 21st :(

    So glad you enjoyed yourself bb :) x

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!