Thursday, 8 September 2011

A Hair-Raising Situation.

Ok, let me preface this post by saying that I have absolutely nothing against gingers. In fact there have been many times when I have openly despaired of my red-headed cousins as they have dyed their beautiful gingery-auburn hair a plethora of different colours (they're both dark brunette at the moment, its such a waste.) Their hair was just always so shiny and pretty and what made them unique. Well, kind of. After all, how unique can you really be when you're a twin?

That being said, ginger...not for me. As much as I'd love to be able to pull it off, and as much as I curse the many celebs out there sporting the copper top...I just can't do it. The most I can manage is a dark mahogany red. So imagine my dismay yesterday when I inadvertently turned my hair into a shade of orange that would rival a carrot!

I should probably give you all a little back-story here, right?

A few months ago I decided that I was bored of the dark reddish/purple that I'd been dying my hair with for the last couple of years. I decided that I wanted to go back to my natural colour (medium brown) and eventually have a few highlights to give it a bit of interest. Unfortunately, the red dye had other ideas.

Fast forward a couple of months and I had two-inch brown roots and dark red length (and ridiculously damaged ends, but thats neither here nor there). It looked diabolical. So, being the genius person that I am, I decided the best thing for me to do would be to have my hair stripped and then re-dyed to my natural colour. And being the stingy student that I am, I decided that I didn't need a hairdresser to do it for me and that I'd be fine on my own. So, I bought the pre-lightener and a medium brown hair dye and got on with it. I'm bitterly regretting that I didn't get any pictures after the pre-lightening stage, because it went vivid yellowy orange and genuinely looked like cartoon hair. Not cool. Obviously I wasn't going to be strutting round the streets of Canterbury like that so I whacked the brown dye on afterwards.

And...it didn't take. It just turned me ginger. Not auburn or anything like that, just proper vivid orange. My housemates found it wildly entertaining and proceeded to post abusive ginger-related messages on my facebook wall (thankfully only two of them were here, had there been all four of them in the house I wouldn't have emerged from my room. At all. Ever.)


Natural Medium Brown, my arse! (Apologies for the dire photo, by the way! I had just got up! And...well, I have no excuse for the double chin!)

These ginger shenanigans resulted in me hot-footing it back to Boots this morning (sporting a ponytail, I might add) to get another hair dye. This time I went for a shade darker than the one I tried yesterday. Slightly darker than I wanted but anything was a better than sporting a Ron Weasley for another day. (I must reiterate, I have nothing against gingers...but come on! I looked fucking ridiculous!) With my mothers dire warnings of 'it might turn your hair green' ringing in my ears, I whacked that bad boy on and let it do its thing, all the while obsessively checking the mirror for signs that it was actually turning my hair green - or worse, that my hair was dissolving from too much chemical exposure in one 24 hour period (that was my best friends input, by the way.)

Lo and behold, both my mother and friend were wrong, and I have now been returned to the safe and secure realm of brunette. I never thought I'd appreciate my boring brown hair as much as I do in this moment! Its a bit darker than I was aiming for, and there is still a slight red tone to it when the light hits it, but in the grand scheme of things, I can live with that!


The lighting in my room isn't great so its actually slightly lighter than it looks in this photo, but its the best I could do! I also look kind of moody and pouty in this picture - I promise it wasn't intentional!

Ok, so now you've all shared my ginger shame, there's something else I need to let you all in on....I'm speaking of course, about weigh-in. I went back to my usual meeting this week, and it was so good to see everyone! Everyone was very complimentary about my loss over the summer, and it was also great to see how well some people are getting on. One girl, who I weighed on her first week, is now only 1.5lbs away from goal. She looks absolutely amazing! I've really missed the social aspect of going to meetings over the summer. Even though I was still attending them more or less every week, it wasn't the same as going to my usual meeting! Plus I missed my leader Jen, she's fantastic! But as good as it was to catch up with everyone, nothing put as big a smile on my face as getting on the scales and seeing a loss of 4lbs! This brings me to a grand total of 73.5lbs off, or 5st 3.5lbs for my fellow Brits. You have no idea how amazing it feels to be able to say 'I have 2st something left to lose', instead of 'I have 3st something left to lose' - especially as I vividly remember thinking to myself 'I have 8st to lose'. NOT ANY MORE!

My fantastic (if I do say so myself) loss this week has also really spurred me on to be extra good over the next few days. I have an appointment at the gym tomorrow to work up a new program so I can get the best out of my time there - I want to really focus on toning up as well as burning calories - so hopefully I can get myself back in the exercise frame of mind. I've even invested in a sports bra. Not that I need one because its not like I've got much to put in there, but still...its the thought that counts! I'm also painfully aware that its my birthday a week from today, and I know that being good over the next week will take some of the pressure off when it comes to the inevitable drinks-and-meals-out birthday celebrations that will be taking place!

Once again, thanks for listening to me rattle on! I hope everyone is having a good week :)

Lauren xx

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Lauren, I've been rubbish this summer but it's time to get back on track now. 3 stone down, 3 more to go! I've missed a few classes recently because of work which isn't helping me at all with motivation :( x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on such a fab weight loss, you are such an inspiration!

    I actually quite like your orange hair! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren I love this post, and I must say I love your writing style. I can't really explain why but it's just the way your write (okay I sound like a completely weirdo now).

    Moving on... congratulations on your brilliant weight loss love, long may it continue! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the gain of confidence!! That is great news! :] You are also very pretty! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you weight loss is amazing, and so inspiring! Can't wait till I can say I have lost 70+ pounds!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!