21. Create a list of 21 must-read books, and read them all.
What can I say guys!? I'm a literature student! I love books and reading and stories, so there was always going to be something book related on the list! The only rule I applied when creating this list was that none of the books could be set texts for my university modules - for some reason that just felt like cheating. Not all of the books are what you might consider 'literature' either - I'm reading them for the sheer joy of reading, and not because some stuffy old lecturer in a tweed jacket told me I should read them - so what if some trashy chick lit found its way onto the list?
Here are the 21 books that I plan to sink my teeth into this year:
- Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks.
- The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne.
- Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte.
- Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen.
- The Book of Daniel - E. L. Doctorow.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini.
- The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien.
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Little Women - Louisa May Alcott.
- East of Eden - John Steinbeck.
- A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens.
- Goodnight Mister Tom - Michelle Magorian.
- The Time-Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
- Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell.
- The Green Mile - Stephen King.
- Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck.
- A Room With A View - E.M. Forster.
- Atonement - Ian McEwan.
- The Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger.
- One Day - David Nicholls.
- Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher.
As always, items that I'm currently working on will be italicized like this, and if its been completed then it will be struck through like
this. I'll be updating the list as I finish the books, so check out the 21 Before 22 page at the top of the blog if you want to see how I'm getting on!