Sunday, 31 July 2011

Favourite Places

So by now most of you know my living situation, however for those who don't I'll give you a quick recap! I'm studying at university in Canterbury so the majority of my time is spent down there. Its a beautiful city and I absolutely love it! I would definitely recommend it as a place to visit if anyone ever gets the opportunity.

During the holidays however, I live at home in Essex with my mum, brother, cat, dog and lizard (we're an animal family), in a town called Billericay. I know right, weirdest town name ever! Billericay is most definitely a 'commuter town' - we're a thirty-minute train ride away from London and about twenty minutes driving from the nearest 'big' towns. The majority of the jobs in our town are the bog-standard retail and bar work, so most people travel into London, Basildon or Chelmsford to work. There literally is nothing remarkable about our little town at all, except perhaps that Lee Evans lives here (I met him once in the fish and chip shop on the high street, he's hilarious). I spent two miserable years at the local comprehensive school before I moved to Kent, so I don't know it as well as I probably would have done, but I wanted to share a few pictures of what is undoubtedly my favourite part of town.

Smack bang in the middle of our rather grey and bleak little commuter town is a Nature Reserve called Mill Meadows. Its made up of a couple of hundred acres of woodland and open space and is home to all sorts of wildlife, as well as a herd of cows who are let out to graze in the summer. Its a favourite haunt of dog-walkers and truanting school children alike (the school faces directly onto reserve), so there's normally a few people around. When I took my little lap-dog Nancy over there for a walk during the week however, I didn't see another soul - human or animal - the whole time I was there. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had a lovely time running around in the long grass and sniffing things. Well, she did. I mainly walked behind her and took some photos.





(I had my first kiss by this tree....I did say 'truanting school kids'...)

(This always reminds me of the scene in Twilight in the woods - or is that just me??)


These are just a few of the photos I snapped while we were out on our walkies. I don't think I really captured how vast the place is, or how silent. It always amazes me that in a fairly large town, with a fairly large amount of congestion, you can go to a place and just have peace. Its a great place to just go and chill out - not to mention work a sweat up! Its quite hilly! Do any of you guys have a favourite place to go near where you live?

I hope everyone had enjoyed their weekend! I've been stuck at work all weekend and am feeling very bitter about the whole situation! 

Lauren xxx

3 comments:

  1. looks so nice there :)
    and yes i can see the twilight resemblance :)

    www.launainponderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog and looking at your weight loss... WOW! You should be so proud its really inspired me, I'm following you now as I want to hear about you progress xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are some great photos, I didn't even know that place existed(I am only a little bit down the road in brentwood)!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!