Thursday, 2 June 2011

Reflections.

I know that a lot of people who read this blog are in the process of losing weight. Some of my readers are friends of mine, people who I know in 'real life' who read it to be supportive or for whatever other reason (the words 'guilty pleasure' have been used by certain individuals, cheeky devils!). Some people read it purely because they find it interesting - maybe its my sparkling wit (haha) that makes them click the 'follow' button? Whatever it is, I'm grateful for each and everyone of you, and am constantly baffled by the number of people who read and comment on my posts. You're all amazing!

Now I've got that little emotional outburst off my chest, lets get down to the juicy stuff. I am talking of course about Weigh-In, and this week I lost....

6.5lbs

Thats right. 6.5lb. In a week. Thats almost 1lb a day. Not what I was expecting! Obviously I was over the moon with such an amazing loss, particularly after my horrid and unfair gain last week. I can only put it down to changing the time of my Weigh-In, because after looking back at my tracker and the little pink 'x's on my calendar I can tell you that I was neither over my points, nor was I as close to my 'lady-time' as I had previously thought. I'm putting such a good loss this week down to having exercised a lot more and limiting my carbs - its obviously worked wonders and I feel much more energetic so they are both things that I will be carrying on with over the next few weeks.

This loss does, of course, also bring me to my 4st mark - in fact, it brings me to a total loss of 4st 2.5lbs, or 58.5lbs for my American friends. Eeeeeek! Not only have I finally got to my 4st mark, I'm also only 1.5lbs from hitting the next nice round number. Its so exciting! Fingers crossed I manage that for next week!

And, in keeping with last weeks new challenge to set some new goals for myself every week, this weeks aim is to - Be More Positive. The beauty of this goal is that it is not confined to just weight-loss, and can be applied to all walks of life. My mum told me a few months ago about something called 'the law of attraction', the basic premise being that if you focus on the positive then you can attract the positive to yourself. For example instead of standing at the train station in the morning thinking 'there's no way I'm going to get a seat', I should be thinking 'I'll get a seat near the door' and if I really focus on it then it will happen. I know its all a bit new-agey, but it can't hurt to have more positive thoughts so I might as well give it a go!

Aside from my (very exciting) Weigh-In news, there was also something else that I wanted to post about tonight. I do apologise if the tone of this post switches abruptly from excitement to something rather more pensive!! I'm pretty sure that this is something that most people will be able to relate to, although I can't help but feel that it will be particularly relevant to those readers who are in the process of losing weight.

There are many, many difficult things about losing weight, particularly a substantial amount of weight. You have to change your entire attitude to food and exercise - something that is definitely easier said than done. You also have to make sacrifices. Don't get me wrong, those sacrifices are 100% worth it in the long-term, in the short-term however....its easy to be resentful when you have to pass on the extra glass of wine, the bar of chocolate, the slice of birthday cake. Admittedly these things are easier to incorporate with the new ProPoints than they were with the old Points system, but there will always be occasions when your metaphorical budget just isn't going to stretch that far. These feelings are made all the more pronounced if you are one of the unfortunate souls such as myself who is either surrounded by ridiculously petite females who don't seem to have ever worried a day of their life about their weight, or big burly blokes who never stop eating and yet somehow look better for carrying a few extra lbs. Life is SO unfair.

One of the things I've really struggled with since I've started losing weight has been giving my head time to catch up with my body. I've lost over 4st, and yet 90% of the time I feel bigger than ever! I've said before that when I was at my very biggest I was in deep deep denial, so its to be expected that I never truly realised how big I was at the time. Thats no longer the case now, and sadly I feel huge. I have people remarking all the time on how much weight I've lost, how well I look, all these lovely lovely things and I just don't see it! Sure, I have the occasional flashes of recognition when I look in a mirror and think 'my waist looks slimmer' or 'my thighs look better'. I even had a very entertaining moment the other day when I batted a fly off my chest and then spent ten minutes examining myself in the mirror because I'd hit my collarbone. The same collarbone that previously wasn't visible, or even feel-able, under so much fat, and now you can both see and feel it. (I should mention that I'm very easily amused, as you can probably tell.) But those moments happen very infrequently, and most of the time I'm caught up in a whirl of thoughts that revolve around wobbly thighs, a jiggly belly and stretchmarks. Ick. 

I guess what I'm asking here is...Am I alone in this? Do other people look in the mirror and see something completely different to what everyone else sees? I know everybody's self-perception is slightly warped, and nobody likes 100% of themselves. At least, nobody I know does! But are any of you lovely slimmers out there feeling the same way that I do? Most of the time I don't see a difference between my reflection now and how I looked when I was 4st heavier, and the only time I really see it is when I look at my 'before' pictures (which, by the way, I've been asked to take to my meeting next week. You know you're doing well when the Weight Watchers leader wants to show you off to the masses!).

Right, you beautiful people, I'm off to bed!

Love to you all!!
Lauren xxx


P.S I've added some pages to the blog, you can find them in the link bar underneath the blog title. Go check them out! :)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! 6.5 lbs is amazing! You're an inspiration and beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! That's an awesome loss, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you got rid of what you had gained and then some. As for why I read your blog .... http://gettingtherethistime.blogspot.com/2011/05/letting-cat-out-of-bag-and-bit-of.html

    I think seeing what is actually there after losing weight rather than what used to be there is difficult for most people when they lose a large amount. I think while still trying to get to the place we want to be it is hard because it is still a work in progress and the very fact that we aren't there yet means in some way that we aren't supposed to be 'ok' with the way we look. As for after reaching the goal, I have no idea! I've never been there so I can't imagine what it is going to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way i acually have to take a picture to see what I look like because in the mirror i still look 225 pounds HUG great weigh in hun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lauren i clearly have a very distorted self image but i wouldn't class my view as 'normal' ha!

    so so pleased you lost that amount of weight.

    and why do i read your blog??! because i love you of course! and because it's funny and entertaining and insightful

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING!!! Well done, sounds like you put in the hard work so you definitely deserve it! Very inspirational! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!