Thursday, 23 June 2011

Moroccan Lamb Tagine, served with vegetable couscous.

So the other day I promised you some more 'Today I Ate' posts, including some recipes. This one is from the Weight Watchers Seriously Satisfying recipe book. I made it last night and it is seriously yummy, so I thought I'd share the recipe on here with you all. If any of you are on Weight Watchers and are debating about whether or not to get the book, please look on this post and any that follow as an idea of what is in the books. Hopefully it will help you decide! Any of you who are doing something outside of Weight Watchers, I'd definitely recommend giving this one a go anyway! Its really easy and came out really well.

You will need:
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or chilli powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
450g (1 lb) lean lamb steaks, cubed
1 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
400g tomato passata
150ml lamb or chicken stock (I used a chicken stock cube and prepared it according to the instructions on the box)

The recipe also calls for 60g raisins but I didn't use any. It also calls for low fat cooking spray, but as I don't like cooking spray I used a drizzle of olive oil instead. Its 1 ProPoint per teaspoon and divided between four portions doesn't add any additional ProPoints values.

For the couscous
1 lemon
1 courgette, cut into chunks
1 red pepper and 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
150g (5.5oz) dried couscous
200ml boiling water

The recipe also called for some crushed coriander seeds for the couscous, but I didn't use those.

You will need a lidded flameproof and ovenproof pan.

1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190 degrees. Mix all the spices together on a flat plate and then add the lamb and toss until it is evenly coated.


Heat the pan on the hob and add the oil/cooking spray. Once the pan is hot add the lamb and cook for about 5 minutes until browned. Add the rest of the tagine ingredients and bring to the boil.

(NB. I used 400g passata and 150ml stock, as the recipe calls for, however once the tagine was cooked I found it a little dry. If you wanted to make the tagine go a little further then you could add some more passata or perhaps a tin of tomatoes.)

Once the mixture is boiled cover it and stick it in the oven for 1 hour, stirring every now and again.

2. While the tagine is cooking, grate the zest from the lemon and set it aside, preferable covered as I find it can go a little dry if not. Cut the lemon into quarters and put it in a tray or roasting tin with the courgette and peppers. Drizzle over a little oil or spray with the cooking spray.


 Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes until the vegetable are cooked.

3. To prepare the couscous, simply place it in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Cover and leave for ten minutes. Once the water is fully absorbed add the couscous to the vegetable for the final five minutes of cooking time (I didn't do this part, mainly because I was cooking for my mum and she was going out so I had to hurry it along a little. It was just as nice with the couscous just mixed into the veggies, although make sure you remove the lemon first!)

4. Stir the lemon zest into the tagine just before you serve it.


The recipe serves 4 and is 10 ProPoints per serving.

Enjoy!

Love to you all
Lauren xxx

3 comments:

  1. oooh looks nice, I've got a £2 off voucher to use on products in class so I might get the book
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. the couscous and veg bit looks yum! love the new look of the blog sweets
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh that looks good, think i may have to give it a try!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!