Sunday, 17 April 2011

Maxi-Skirts and Under-Wire.

I'm going to start this post with a confession - I am a terrible fat-fighter! I stuffed my face yesterday with all kinds of rubbish and probably ended up consuming about 100,000 points (slight exaggeration there but you get my point). I have plenty of excuses - I was tired, hormonal (yeah...you know what I'm getting at!), had a really bad afternoon at work and was genuinely feeling disillusioned with the human race, and like nothing was ever going to go right ever again. You could say I was being a tad over-dramatic. Just a tad, though. The icing on the cake was my train being delayed, and everything together just got a little bit too much for my teeny tiny brain to handle. Before I knew it, I was typing my pin number into the card machine at Liverpool Street Station Thorntons. Ok, so it was only two of the mini bitesize bar things. But it was completely unnecessary and just made me feel worse.

Somehow the 'feeling worse' didn't stop me eating a curry when I got in. Or half a bar of Galaxy. Or a tiramisu.

Ok, so there's my confession. I am a disgusting pig who has no self control and clearly I have only myself and my under-developed emotional capacity to blame for my grotesque obesity. And now that the confessions, justifications and self-hatred is done, I can draw a line under it and say 'I will do better tomorrow' - and so far, I have. I have now realised that one bad day is not the end of the world - nor is it any excuse to let a bad day turn into a bad week. Before you know it its a bad month, then a bad year....I don't want to be that person anymore. So I'm not going to be.

Now, onto more important issues...like clothes. And what we wear underneath them.



I'm pretty sure that every woman will agree with me when I say that a good bra is the most important part of their wardrobe. A decent, well-fitting bra not only supports 'the girls', but also offers support for your back. It makes you stand straighter and carry yourself better. If its been fitted properly it can also make you look a dress size smaller than you actually are, simply because everything is in the right place. But more important than any of that is the way a good bra makes us feel...when we're wearing our favourite bra (and the accompanying knickers - duh), we feel sexy.

I'm devastated to admit that I don't have a favourite bra, because none of them fit me anymore (please feel free to take a moment here in order to fully appreciate how tragic this statement really is). The only, and I do mean the one and only, good thing about being fat is that my boobs were bigger. Still not massive, but bigger. When I started losing weight, they were the first thing to go. In fact, they're still disappearing now. I swear for every 3lb that I lose, at least 1lb of it has come off of my chest. Its a very sorry state of affairs. How can I have only dropped one dress size, and yet I've dropped three bra sizes?! Its not fair. Not least because I'm far too poverty to buy new bras and am having to make do with the ones that are far too big, and are therefore not doing their job. I have lots and lots of lovely underwear indoors, and about 90% of it doesn't fit me at all. What a waste!! First thing I'm going to do when I get my student loan is hit up M&S for new bras. Ones that fit! I would go to La Senza, but I'm pretty sure I'm still too fat for their liking...one day though!

As well as my lack of bras, the other thing I am bemoaning today is the lack of maxi-skirts and dresses in my life at the moment. I am totally in love with the maxi trend, and this is in no small part due to my aversion to getting my legs out. Oh, I'll wear shorts and tiny little skirts alright...as long as I've got a pair of 80 denier tights on underneath. No tights, no deal. And tights are not the most comfortable item of clothing to be wearing in warmer weather, meaning the fact that maxi's are back for another summer pleases me greatly. After having a very brief scout around some websites this afternoon, I've picked the first three that I will be buying (when I actually have money, that is...)

Purple maxi-dress - Dorothy Perkins, £35
Pink maxi-skirt - Dorothy Perkins, £32
White maxi-skirt - Evans, £20 (white vest and denim shirt are also Evans)

(NB. Please note that there is not a single black item of clothing on this wish-list!!)

There are literally hundred of maxis around at the moment in all different colours and patterns. The three that I've chosen are simply the first ones that I saw that stood out to me. I love the rich colour of the purple dress, and that all three are simple and yet really summery and stylish. Pulling off current trends can often be really difficult when you're bigger, particularly in the season of micro skirts and hotpants, so I'm glad there's finally a trend thats fashionable and that bigger girls are more likely to feel comfortable in (not that larger people shouldn't wear hotpants and micro-skirts if they want to - its all about whats right for you). Plus maxi-skirts are the single most comfortable item of clothing ever!

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough for one afternoon! I'm off now to enjoy a delicious roast dinner courtesy of Mumma Jones before taking the doggy for a walk :)


Isn't she adorable??


Love to all, hope you're all enjoying this lovely sunny Sunday afternoon!!
Lauren xxx

4 comments:

  1. Check out brastop for bras. You are so right. Good bras make so much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so feel your pain about losing weight off the girls. I have never had the most pert pair but when I'm heavier they look and feel pretty good. A few pounds off and I can actually see where my bras are baggier. Where is the JUSTICE. WHERE?

    Well done on getting it back together for a new day after a little slip up.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done for getting back on track after yesterday lovely. we all slip up and way back when you know that it would have been far worse and gone on for far longer - try and remember that!
    oooh i love maxi dresses, sooo much. i have a really lovely one which I am looking forward to being able to wear again when i am back at goal
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I want to say that there is *nothing* wrong with you for giving into the temptation to eat. Everyone has days like that, whether they fall back on food or something else. I completely agree about the bras though. What you wear under your clothes has lots to do with how you feel!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!