Tuesday, 7 September 2010

The Baking Bug

I've officially caught it.

Last week I made yummy Banana muffins from the Weight Watchers magazine and they were SO delicious, I decided to make some more today while I was waiting for my new phone to be delivered. Then I decided to make some choccy chip ones with the milk choc chips left in the cupboard, although I wasn't sure what to point these as! I also had to make a few alterations to the recipe as well I pointed the Banana ones at 3pts this time as well because I had to use a different spread and it had a slightly higher fat content.

For anyone who is interested and doesn't have access to this months mag, here is the recipe:

  • 2 bananas
  • 1 tbsp clear honey
  • 100g low fat spread
  • 150g soft brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 175g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/160 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl, mash the bananas and honey with a fork.
  3. In a larger bowl, cream the spread and sugar with an electric whisk or in a food blender. Once the mixture has a consistent, fluffy texture, add the eggs and continue to beat for several minutes.
  4. Fold in the banana and honey mixture, then sieve the flour, baking powder and nutmeg into the bowl and fold in until the mixture is consistent.
  5. Line a tray with muffin/cake cases and spoon in the mixture so that each case holds an equal amount. Bake on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes, or until golden on top and springy to the touch.
This recipe is 30.5 points on the Weight Watchers plan. If you use it to make 8 muffins they will have a points value of 4. For 12 muffins the points value is 2.5.

For the chocolate chip muffins I simply omitted the bananas and nutmeg and added about 1/2 a pack of milk chocolate chips. Without the bananas the mixture was too dry, so I added about 50ml semi-skimmed milk. They didn't rise as well but they still taste yummy!

Like I said, a bit flat but still delicious! The only thing is the choc chip ones just look plain because all the chocolate sank to the bottom while they were baking!

While I have been virtuous in the kitchen, I'm sad to report that the same cannot be said for the rest of my eating habits. I haven't posted since Friday, so i guess I have to come clean about the whole weekend. Saturday was, as predicted, a Weight Watchers write-off. Lots of yummy food at the curry house, washed down by yummy alcohol. On Sunday I came in just a couple of points over for the day, until I decided I needed bread. The same happened yesterday. For some reason I have huge cravings for carbs and sugar at the moment, and I'm pretty sure that reason is called Time Of The Month. From my calculations its fast-approaching so I am going to have to try extra hard to control my cravings if I want to see another loss this Friday. I'm going to try to earn some BPs tomorrow and Thursday to try and cover my early week naughtiness and fingers crossed I'll be able to at least stay the same!!

I also have one more thing to confess to - cut my hair! Took off about two inches of horrifying split-ends and had my fringe cut back in, then dyed it all a lovely plum colour.
Clothes wise I've had some more let-downs. I ordered a velvet dress from New Look for my birthday which was sadly far too short for me - I'm talking bum-skimming! I also got a bodycon skirt which I am so far undecided about, but I'm thinking its going to be a no as well. I'll take some pics tomorrow to demonstrate before I take them back to the shop.

On the other hand I came across a little gem while I was sorting through my stuff the other day. Its a black and white structured dress from Dorothy Perkins that I bought in May for a family friends Holy Communion. Wore it on the day then put in on the rack and forgot all about it! I tried it on and it fits nicely and looks fab with a pair of red heels, so provided the weather on the day is a-ok I think I've found myself a birthday outfit! Once again, pictures to follow!!

Oh, and other big news!! I might, possibly, have an interview! I got an email from jobshop (the university job centre type thing) about some bar work. I emailed the woman and she got back to me asking when I can interview! Hopefully I'll hear from her tomorrow. The job is about 3 miles from my uni house which is a pain but its better than nothing. I'm in no position to turn down funds at the moment as my overdraft is in a very sorry state!

Blog Challenge Day 10

Something I'm proud of in the last few days...

Hmmm.

I am proud of getting back onto Weight Watchers. Even though I haven't been point perfect, I'm back to tracking and at least attempting to keep control of my eating. Current hormones have made it even harder but I am very proud of myself for trying!

Lauren xxx

2 comments:

  1. Lauren the longer you whisk for the more they will rise - i whisk for AGES when i bake and they are lovely and fluffly. Admittedly haven't tried the weight watchers ones though!
    Also, yey on the job interview, keep us posted
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay for the baking bug, with ur choc chip ones, use reciepe builder on ww tracker and it will be able to tell you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!