Friday, 6 August 2010

Fatshion

While perusing one of the many fashion and celebrity mags that loiter in the staffroom in work, I stumbled across an article that caught my interest. It was about bloggers, and one of the bloggers featured was a girl called Gabi. Her blog is called Young, Fat and Fabulous. The article told of how Gabi, as a plus size girl with a passion for fashion, was sick of being exiled to fashion Siberia because of her size. YFF is her opportunity to showcase some of her own personal style and demonstrate to the larger ladies out there that just because they don't conform to the size 0 phenomenon, that doesn't mean they can't wear exactly what they choose to.

Having had a good look through some of the most recent posts on YFF, I can categorically state that it is, indeed, fabulous! Gabi (and some of the other ladies featured on the site) all dress superbly and look young, fresh, sexy and sophisticated. It makes such a nice change to see people who, like myself, are on the large side, but who wear exactly what they want to wear without worrying about it being 'flattering' to their shape (incidentally, the clothes almost always are very flattering and look amazing, so they're doing something right!) Rather than hiding inside plain, baggy clothes, they're proud of their curves and they dress to impress. Go them!

Reading the blog and looking at the pictures has really shown me that I need to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and that I should dress how I want to, in whatever makes me feel good. Although YFF is all about accepting your shape and loving your body (kind of the opposite of the whole Weight Watchers approach) it applies to everyone, of any shape or size. And I know that even when I get to my goal weight, I will still be a size 12-14, and therefore still considered a plus-size by the fashion industry. So from now on, I'm going to dress how I want to, without worrying about if my legs look fat, or if my arms look chunky. If I like it, and if it makes me feel good, I'm going to wear it. And let the chips fall where they may!

With this is mind, here I am last night at a friends birthday.







My legs are far from the slender perfection I'd like them to be, and yes, my arms are on the wrong side of bingo-wing. But I like this outfit and I felt good in it, so why shouldn't I wear it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up Weight Watchers, even though the last week has left much to be desired on that front. I couldn't make it to WI this week because I'm at Dads and didn't get home from work until gone 7pm, but I weighed myself on Dads scales this morning and they report a 2lb loss, which is pleasing. Hopefully it is an accurate reading and I can WI on Thursday with a good result! :)

Lauren xxx

2 comments:

  1. I saw that article, its in Look magazine! Havent had a look at the blog yet, but i wanted too and now uve made me want to even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to reiterate my facebook appreciation of your piccies - you are absolutely stunning missie!! You're looking healthy, happy and most importantly, comfortable and confident in yourself :o) Well done darling *big hugs* from meeeeee! Love Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!